Sunday, August 23, 2009

From friend to girlfriend: Is it possible?

I'm recently single, and a close guy friend of mine is as well. We've been friends for over 2 years; we were friends-with-benefits for a couple of months after we first met until I broke it off because I wanted a commitment and he didn't want to be in a relationship at the time. I've always had deep feelings for him and now is the first time in over a year that we're both single at the same time--the last time, we hooked up again on two occasions. I'm going back to college in his native area in a week and he's already told me to let him know when I'm back so we can hang out, and I plan to.

I really care about him and I want to give being coupled-up a real shot since I think we would be great together. We differ a bit on values. He's a pretty devout Christian, music director at his church, while I'm Agnostic but have always been open to learning about various religions; and naturally he's more conservative, while I'm a total social liberal (I am quite fiscally conservative, though). We both have a lot of common interests; we wear our hearts on our sleeves. We have so much fun together; we can easily talk on the phone for an hour or more at a time and we make each other laugh. I know he still finds me attractive because I take pride in my appearance, and he always has a sincere, specific compliment for me whenever he sees me.

Thing is, I feel like I have a decent platform with which to work already, but I don't know how to work with it or make it work for me. Anyone have any ideas for me? Can this transformation from friend to girlfriend work, or is it impossible? Have you been in a situation like this? If so, how did it turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment