Wayne Rooney's badly gashed leg against Fulham takes its place at the back of most of the Sundays, but The Sun goes further than just saying that the England striker will be about for four weeks.According to the paper, the United backroom staff have been unimpressed with the player's conditioning to start the season, and he "could even be sold for £50 million if he does not shape up."
The paper says that, "Manchester United’s patience has been stretched to the limit by Roo’s behaviour on and off the pitch."
They later explain: "Rooney was poor in Monday’s 1-0 defeat at Everton and (Alex) Ferguson is understood to be unhappy with his fitness levels.
"But the club were concerned about Rooney’s form, fitness and off field behaviour even before he returned for pre-season training - and discussions were held at boardroom level."
The paper also pulls what they call a "significant sentence" from Fergie's programme notes that states: “If I hear a player has fallen out of love with us, and is looking elsewhere I invariably help them out of the door.”
Elsewhere, and after missing out on Nari Sahin who has joined Liverpool on loan, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is said to be now chasing Newcastle United midfielder Chieck Tiote on a potential £15m deal.
The Daily Mirror explains that, "Tiote is now Wenger’s top midfield target, ahead of Rennes star Yann M’Vila, even though Arsenal know Newcastle are desperate to keep the Ivory Coast international. Chelsea and Manchester City have previously been quoted over £20m for Tiote and remain interested, but Wenger will test the water with a bid of around £15m."
The paper also says that Wenger will make a move for a utility defender before the transfer window shuts, with Montpellier’s Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa "high on his list."
Manchester City have been fairly quiet in the transfer market this summer and the back page of the Mail on Sunday suggests that Roberto Mancini could quit as Manchester City boss inside a year if he doesn’t receive the backing he requires.
A source tells the paper that: "He has three targets before the window closes - Daniele De Rossi, Maicon and Stevan Jovetic.
"We will see what happens in the next few days. He feels there is no one at the club doing the transfer dealing for him and he has been left with just 19 players for the new season. He is angry, as you can imagine.
"He is ambitious, he has just won the Premier League and wants to win the Champions League. But he can’t do that without the right support."
Lots of other unsubstantiated rumours in the papers too as Friday's transfer deadline looms large, so in quickfire Eurobot style let's wrap them up:
Manchester United are prepared to consider offers of £15m for Brazil midfielder Anderson and winger Nani as they seek to recoup some money after a summer of heavy spending. Tottenham are among the clubs who could be interested in the 24-year-old Anderson should they fail to land top target Joao Moutinho from Porto. (Daily Mail)
Ferguson is also plotting a £9m swoop for St Etienne defender Kurt Zouma, 17, rated one of Europe’s top teens. (The Sun)
Newcastle will make a third and final offer of around £6m to Lille this week for French right back Mathieu Debuchy. (Sunday Mirror)
Tottenham are set to press ahead this week with an £8m move for teenage England goalkeeper Jack Butland from Birmingham City. Southampton have already had a £6m bid for the 19-year-old turned down while Liverpool and Manchester City have also watched him closely. (Daily Mail)
Sunderland manager Martin O’Neill is weighing up a move for Tottenham defender Michael Dawson. Dawson rejected a £9m move to QPR last week insisting he would not be forced out of White Hart Lane. (Sunday Mirror)
And finally, Fulham have stepped up their chase for £3m-rated Ivory Coast striker Yannick Sagbo. Boss Martin Jol has been trailing the Evian ace and he had the 24-year-old watched in Friday’s 1-1 draw with Lyon. (The Sun)